Friday, June 21, 2013

These Hands


I'm linking up with Andrea from Reading Toward the Stars for Book Talk Thursday.  


This week I am reviewing a book recommended by my mentor teacher, These Hands by Margaret Mason and Floyd Cooper.



  I used this book in January to teach civil rights in connection with Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.  This story is told from Joseph's grandpa's point-of-view.  He speaks of all the things he can do with his hands.  And then, he speaks of all the things that he couldn't do with his hands.  The message is powerful.  Yes, we can!

My students were spell bound.  They couldn't understand why those brown hands weren't allowed to mix bread dough in the factory.  Hmmm... it was real food for thought, brown hands?  In my classroom, they all have brown hands - many of my students are Native Hawaiian or Asian American, they all have brown skin.  Could it be that their hands might not be able to mix bread dough?

The students had very serious discussions with their friends about this topic.  We used our schema to think about all that we do with our hands.  We used our schema to think about things we can't do, or wouldn't be allowed to do with our hands.  Then we talked about how we might feel if we weren't allowed to do something just because of the color of our skin.  Then we wrote.

I'm not ready to post cute worksheets and lessons.  I'm so in awe of all of you who do that!  When I gather my confidence and feel like I can come close to what I see out there, I will share as well.  

 photo signature-6.png

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds like an incredibly powerful book. I can only imagine the great conversation and thinking you can facilitate while reading this book. Definitely going on my list of must-haves for teaching reading. Awesome!!

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie Your blog is so pretty I love the colors! I am your newest follower!

    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is so cute! I will be having The Book Whisperer Discussion on my blog tonight at 8pm if you are available!

    Thanks,
    Jamie
    Sixth Grade Tales

    ReplyDelete