Thursday, June 13, 2013


I'm linking up with Andrea from Reading Toward the Stars for her Book Talk Thursday.


The book I am going to review is one of my favorite books from my childhood.  I remember my teacher reading this book to us and then asking my grandmother to buy me the series!  


Little House in the Big Woods

I loved reading about Laura and her family.  To me, living in Hawai'i, the Big Woods of Wisconsin could have been on the other side of the world.  I loved the idea of pumpkin chairs, corn husk dolls, creating snow angels, and making maple syrup candies on the snow.  This book pulled me in when I was in grade school, it became one of my favorites and I read the entire series.  When my children were young, I pulled it out and read the series to them as well.  Now, when I have a reluctant reader who isn't sure what to read, I introduce him/her to Laura and her family.  This book interests both boys and girls who are fascinated by the life in the Big Woods.

This book is also a great read aloud.  I read the first chapter to my 5th graders and sent them home with summer reading.  They were completely entranced by the book.  My students were lost in the butchering process and the idea of playing with the pigs bladder like one would play with a balloon.  In 6th grade they will start the year with Westward Movement and read Little House on the Prairie.  It seems like a simple read but it helps the students to understand the life of the settlers.  I also like it because the students can read the book independently and we can have great discussions.


 photo signature-6.png

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking up! What a great way to get your students ready for 6th grade! Isn't it great that a book can grab their attention in such a way?

    Have a wonderful summer!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one just gives me warm fuzzies inside! I read it aloud to my second graders this year and they just loved it and were so interested in the differences between the past and present. Just found your blog through the linky and am a new follower... Thanks so much for sharing!

    All the best--
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just loved these when I was a little girl. :) Your post made me smile. :)
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete